About 60% of Louisiana’s agricultural income are generated by crops while the other 40% are produced is produced by livestock and livestock products. In terms of income generated, the state’s top five agricultural products are cane for sugar, rice, cattle and calves, soybeans, and cotton.
About 9% of Louisiana’s agricultural revenues are generated by cattle and calves.
Dairy products, aquaculture (farm raised catfish and crayfish), chicken eggs and hogs are also important sources of revenue.
Some fur-bearing animals are raised for pelts others are trapped in the wild for fur.
Sugar cane is the leading farm product in Louisiana.
Other important crops are rice, soybeans, cotton, and corn for grain.
Sweet potatoes and tomatoes are the most important vegetable crops and peaches, strawberries and melons lead the fruit crops.
[ More ]
Manufacturers add value to raw products by creating manufactured items. For example, cotton cloth becomes more valuable than a boll of cotton through manufacturing processes.
Production of chemicals (pharmacueticals, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, petrochemicals (chemicals from petroleum), plastics, soap) is Louisiana’s leading manufacturing activity.
Petroleum and coal processing ranks second with petroleum refineries providing almost all of the income in this industry.
Paper production (corrugated boxes, cardboard tubes, food containers) ranks third.
Other manufacturing industries include shipbuilding, aircraft, automobile and truck parts, missile parts and truck trailers.
Louisiana’s major mined products are petroleum and natural gas and are responsible for over 90% of the state’s mining income.
Other important mined products are sulfer and salt. Louisiana also produces coal and sand and gravel.
Louisiana is one of the leading states in commercial fishing and the leading state in shrimp production.
Other important fish products include catfish, crayfish, menhaden and oysters.
Community, business, and personal services (private health care, hotels, law firms, repair shops) lead in the services sector.
Wholesale (automobiles, groceries, petroleum products) and retail (discount stores, food stores, restaurants.) trade ranks second.
The finance, insurance and real estate sector, centered in New Orleans, ranks third. Finance is fueled by petroleum and gas companies.